The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was first launched within the Lok Sabha in December 2019 however is but to be cleared by the parliament.
The Centre is predicted to take up the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens (Amendment) invoice, 2019, in the course of the ongoing Monsoon Session of the Parliament, which started on Monday. The invoice was listed as one among the many 29 payments that had been more likely to be taken up in the course of the session, the Union ministry of parliamentary affairs mentioned on July 18 (Sunday), a day earlier than the session commenced.
The modification invoice was first launched within the Lok Sabha in December 2019 however is but to be cleared by the Parliament. The invoice was supposed to supply for the upkeep and welfare of oldsters and senior residents making certain their total bodily and psychological wellbeing.
After the 2 waves of Covid-19 pandemic within the nation, the federal government expects to move the invoice within the parliament in the course of the monsoon session to make sure the well-being of senior residents. The invoice introduces some main amendments to the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act of 2007.
Here is an inventory of all main amendments proposed within the invoice:
- Under the brand new invoice, the definition of the kids has been expanded to incorporate organic and adopted sons, daughters, step kids, son-in-law and daughter-in-law, grandson, granddaughter and authorized guardian of minor kids.
- Likewise, the definition of mum or dad would now embody organic and adoptive father and mom, grandparents, father-in-law and mother-in-law as effectively.
- The time period “maintenance” has been outlined as provision for meals, clothes, housing, security and safety, medical attendance, healthcare and therapy needed for the mother and father to guide a lifetime of dignity. According to the 2007 legislation, upkeep solely included the availability for meals, clothes, residence and medical attendance and therapy.
- In a serious modification, the invoice seeks to take away the higher restrict of ₹10,000 because the month-to-month upkeep quantity. Earlier, within the 2007 act, the utmost restrict was set at ₹10,000 monthly. If the modification invoice is handed and turns into a legislation, senior residents may obtain greater than the quantity.
- However, the tribunal to take care of these affairs, would think about the usual of dwelling of the mum or dad or the senior citizen, their earnings and likewise the earnings of the kids or the individual accountable.
- While the 2007 act requires the kids to pay the upkeep quantity inside 30 days of the order by the tribunal, the present modification invoice seeks to scale back that point restrict to 15 days.
- The modification invoice additionally says that kids who abandon their mother and father, as outlined by the invoice, shall be sentenced to a jail time period ranging between three and 6 months and likewise a penalty of as much as ₹10,000 or each.
Follow us on Google News